The emergency transmitter detection is a transmitter used to detect radio beacon and during an accident the tracking transmitter is triggered. COSPAS-SARSAT an international consortium monitors the transmitter and the emergency services. The main reason for this device is to help people during an emergency when they are stranded somewhere or in an accident. It helps in rescuing the survivors. 406MHz is the standard frequency of the device. This emergency transmitter detectionis internationally regulated which acts as a search and rescue operation for the lost boats, aircrafts and people in distressed. 243 MHz is used by the military aircrafts as these signals are phased out. These devices must be inspected every 12 months for their maintenance.
Different types of detectors are:
- ELTs (emergency locator transmitters) which is for the signal aircraft in emergency.
- EPIRB (emergency position-indicating radio beacons) which is for the signal maritime in emergency.
- SEPIRB (submarine emergency position-indicating radio beacons) are specially EPIRBs designed only for use on submarines which are in any emergency situation.
- SSAS (ship security alert system) are used to indicate possible pirate attack on a warship or terrorism attacks on the battleships.
- PLBs (personal locator beacons) are for personal use and are intended to indicate a person in distress who is away from normal emergency services.
The different types of satellites used in this COSPAS-SARSAT are as follows:
- SARSAT (US/Canada/France LEO)
- COSPAS (Russia LEO)
- GOES (US geostationary)
- MSG (European geostationary)
- INSAT (Indian geostationary)
- ELEKTRO/LUCH (Russia geostationary)
Advantages of the 406 MHz emergency detector
It has more transmitter power than other detectors. It has been specifically designed so that the frequency is protected and is only detected by the satellites. Thus emergency detector has a faster search and rescue response when compared to other transmitter detectors.